Finally I have my context!
I volunteered for the day in the Year 6 classroom which will be my Professional Experience class for the next three weeks!
Here’s a snapshot:
- Large suburban school
- Approx. 800 students from Prep to Year 6
- There are four x Year 6 classes
- My class is 29 students
- Fairly evenly boys/girls
- 1 ADHD Student
- 2 very low academic achievers
- Generally well behaved students who can be chatty at times
- Around 4 main offenders who will need further behaviour management and will need to be monitored.
The classroom itself is very lacking in ICTs. There is a smart board and the children also have access to 2 computers in a quiet room adjacent to the classroom. Not sure about other available ICTs that we could get in (I’m thinking digital cameras/laptops/iPads… maybe… hopefully…).
All in all I’m a lot less nervous about starting prac on Monday. My teacher is really nice, accommodating and funny. And the students all seemed very nice and willing to please (for now anyway)!
I hope all my fellow EDC3100 students have a great time on prac and learn a lot!